Weekly Wrap Up – February 8, 2013
- Congratulations to An Iliad! Our co-production with Berkeley Repertory Theatre took home 5 Craig Noel Awards, including the top honor for “Outstanding Dramatic Production.” The San Diego Critics Circle Award also honored Blood and Gifts, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and The Car Plays: San Diego. See below for more info.
- This week we launched the 2013 Performance Outreach Program (POP) Tour production, A Lonely Boy’s Guide to Survival (And Werewolves). We asked cast member, Ian Littleworth, to tweet some behind-the-scenes photos from the road. View his tweets here or check out production photos of the show.
- We bid a fond farewell to The Tall Girls, as the cast took its final bow on Sunday evening. The DNA New Work Series continues this week with a series of 1-day readings.
- We welcomed the cast and crew of Brahman/i, A One-Hijra Stand-Up Comedy Show, also part of the DNA New Work Series, to La Jolla Playhouse this week. Check out photos on our Instagram account.
- What’s next for big musicals like Hands on a Hardbody or Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots? Find out from UT San Diego in this feature.
- La Jolla Playhouse’s very own Jersey Boys celebrated 3000 performances on Broadway. The current cast includes a few Playhouse favorites, including Matt Bogart (Zhivago), Jeremy Kushnier (Jesus Christ Superstar), plus Peter Gregus and Joe Payne from the original La Jolla production of Jersey Boys.
2013 Craig Noel Awards
Outstanding Dramatic Production
“An Iliad,” La Jolla Playhouse
Outstanding Sound Design
Mark Bennett, “An Iliad,” La Jolla Playhouse
Shahrokh Yadegari, “Blood and Gifts,” La Jolla Playhouse
Outstanding Lighting Design
Scott Zielinski, “An Iliad,” La Jolla Playhouse
Outstanding Solo Performance
Henry Woronicz, “An Iliad,” La Jolla Playhouse
Outstanding Featured Musical Performance in a Play
Brian Ellingsen, “An Iliad,” La Jolla Playhouse
Outstanding Technical Achievement
“Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots,” La Jolla Playhouse. Team: Robert Brill, scenic design; Basil Twist, puppetry; Paul Tazewell, costumes; Michael Walton, lighting; Steve Canyon Kennedy, sound design; Sean Nieuwenhuis, projections
Outstanding Special Event
“The Car Plays,” La Jolla Playhouse, Without Walls series
Congratulations to our former Resident Theatre Company, Moxie Theatre, for winning the Braunagel Award for outstanding contribution to the San Diego arts scene by a small-budget theatre, among other awards.
Click here for a full list of winners.